[Gllug] Two IPs and one NIC

James Holland holland.james at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 12:57:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 08:41 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> You can now have as many IP addresses on an interface as you like. Note
> that this is currently true for IPv4 addresses. IPv6 addresses are
> subject to a limit set in the kernel (which you can change via the proc
> filesystem at /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/max_addresses)
>
> An example:
>
> ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 dev eth0
> ip addr add 192.168.0.3/24 dev eth0
> ip addr add 192.168.0.4/24 dev eth0

This is a really interesting discussion! Can anyone tell me why you
would need multiple aliases?

And I've got as far as using a bridge on my laptop for my virtual
machines but this only seems to work for ethernet rather than wireless.
Now wondering if I could create an alias to my wifi and use that??

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk