[Gllug] QT GUI Project

Nuno Pedrosa nunomdp at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:25:21 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

It has been a while since my last message in the group and it also a long
time ago since my last attendance to one of the many GLLUG social events.

I thought of posting an announcement in this list since I know that there
are quite a lot of bright programmers in here.
Here it goes:

My company is starting a new project of writing a new GUI.
At the moment the product is not fully Multiplatform as it only runs in
windows. This software is mainly used by the Oil and Gas industry.
This program is called Multiflash (
http://infochemuk.com/index.php/product/multiflash).
As this is a revamp of that program to which we will be also adding lots of
new features making it more attractive.

I am a Linux user myself, albeit only at home, as most of you will know, it
is very hard to work for a company which its main business is not software
and have Linux installed in your computer.

As manager of this project I ended up between two options: VB.NET, which is
what we currently use and QT which is, as I understand, a superior solution.

The main objective, as I stated before, is to make the new program
Multiplatform, which can be achieved more easily with QT. I feel the Mono is
not quite there yet, although it seams to be very good.
I feel that a flame war will start here!

I myself have decided that QT is the way to go but we are having a problem.
Finding suitable developers to do it as we do not have the in-house staff to
do it.

Can I ask you guys if anyone is interested in participating in such a
project? Or do you know anyone (individual or company) that I can contact
about this project.
It is a relatively small program so the entire job would not take more than
a year.

If anyone would like more details, feel free to email me!
Thanks in advance for any input that you have.

Nuno

PS: to the list moderators: if this is not appropriate please let me known!