[Gllug] Which disk utility to believe?

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Thu May 26 23:20:24 UTC 2011

I have Ubuntu 11.04 running on a 2-year-old 750GB Seagate SATA disk with no apparent problems. Ran a Fedora 15 Live CD on it and disk utility reported 961 bad sectors but with a green light and a "Warning". Checked it again from a Ubuntu Live CD and the same. However, when I ran Seatools 4.2 from UBCD 5.03 it didn't report any errors and reported "Passed" after a 2 and 1/2 hour test. So I'm wondering which to believe - the drive manufacturer's own utility or Red Hat's generic Palimpsest, ie. "Disk Utility"?

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk