[Gllug] OT: Kindle Networking

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed May 18 15:30:34 UTC 2011

Dear GLLUGers,

At home I run a wi-fi network using DHCP to allocate IP
addresses to the various devices I use, including my recent
Kindle.

When I use one-click ordering of an e-book on Amazon it gets
downloaded to the Kindle within seconds.

How is this achieved?  My router acts as a firewall and
refuses all attempts to reach my internal network from the
Internet.  My understanding of NAPT is that it's only
successful when originating communications from inside my
network outwards.

Does this imply that my Kindle is contacting Amazon on a
regular basis?

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /
Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk