[Gllug] Bootable USB backup like OS X dmg?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue May 31 13:33:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 02:20:35PM +0100, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 30/05/11 11:59, Nix wrote:
>> On 30 May 2011, Steve Parker outgrape:
>>> It depends on the type of machine, and what you are trying to achieve.
>>> For a PC, then yes, the dynamic way in which the current Linux kernel
>>> and udev works is great. With more than one NIC, there is no guarantee
>>> that they will both be detected as eth0/eth1 respectively on different
>>> boots.
>> udev has been able to bind names to network interfaces by MAC for many
>> years (following which those names will not change), and has had a rule
>> generator to automate that process after first boot for almost as long.
>
> Yes, although I don't like hard-coding MAC addresses (with RHEL you can
> put the MAC in ifcfg-NIC); NICs don't often fail, but when they do, and
> you replace it with a new one, I want it to be detected based on its PCI
> address. udev can do it by PCI too, so I have a script in the build
> which does that for me.

As of Fedora 15[1], this kind of stable naming based on NIC PCI/chassis slot
is now the default, for exactly the reason you describe.

  http://domsch.com/blog/?p=455

  "The new naming convention is as follows:

    * em[1-N] for on-board (embedded) NICs (# matches chassis labels)
    * pci<slot>#<port> for cards in PCI slots, port 1..N
    * NPAR & SR-IOV devices add a suffix of _<vf>, from 0..N
      depending on the number of Partitions or Virtual Functions
      exposed on each port.
    * Other Linux conventions, such as .<vlan> and :<alias> suffixes
      remain unchanged and are still applicable."

Regards,
Daniel

[1]  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming