[Gllug] Advice on starting two browser windows.

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri May 20 07:26:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 07:36:08AM +0100, tid wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm in the process of building of a livecd (archlinux & fvwm) and want
> to start two browser windows, each taking up half the screen
> ( left and right ). I can see It's possible to do this via opera with
> profiles, but
>
> (a) I'd prefer to use chromium and
>
> (b) I'd prefer some control over the placement of the windows. Chromium
> doesn't appear to have any -geometry type settings whereas opera does.
>
> Any advice gratefully received.

I'd suggest embedding the browser windows as widgets, then using
something like Gtk or Qt for placement.  With this you'll very easily
be able to get any layout you want.  The downside is that the
embedding APIs for browsers are hard to use, buggy and unmaintained
(this is definitely true for Gtk -- I understand that things are much
better in the Qt world, but have not actually used those).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat