[Gllug] Alternatives to googlemail

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Mon May 30 15:09:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 01:00:45AM +0100, Steve Parker wrote:
> IANAL, and I certainly don't know US law, but the Regulation of
> Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) here in the UK gives the UK government
> authority to read your email, and to force you to decrypt your encrypted
> email for them on demand, so a valid question to start with, is what are
> you trying to achieve? Email is inherently insecure.

Do you see no middle ground between:

a) The government can force me to hand over my email and even
   force me to decrypt it for them if I've encrypted it.

and

b) Any government can informally ask my hosting company for any
   information they hold on me and they will most likely hand it
   over without notifying me that this even happened. And (a) as
   well.

?

Risks should be assessed, it's important to not become a paranoid
nutjob, but just because our government *can* force you to give up
your data to them does not mean that *any* steps to increase
security are in vain.

It's quite shocking how often governments go on fishing expeditions
without following formal procedures and most hosting companies find
it easier to just go along with it.

Cheers,
Andy