[Gllug] App development for children

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu May 19 18:06:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 09:30 +0100, david at gbenet.com wrote:

> Has it improved?
>
> My daughter is a primary school teacher - she says no - they are locked in to support IT
> Contractors who supply nothing but Microsoft. She has used OS/2 Linux and now runs an Apple
> Mac laptop. So kids never know never learn anything but Microsoft. Her world of IT is a
> closed shop. And of course the closed shop is very very expensive and highly profitable for
> the IT Contractors. Not even OpenOffice - all very lucrative licensing.
>
> How does she feel? As she says "It's a fucking rip off." But they have no choice in the game.
>
> David

They DO have a choice.  I used to be a Governor of a state school, and
we told RM and the other charlatans exactly where to go.  It just takes
a bit of will!

Unfortunately, the "must buy a well-known product" and "it can't be any
good if it's cheap" syndromes rule the purchasing of hard and software.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk