[Gllug] App development for children

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu May 19 05:46:53 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011 08:42, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> JLMS writes:
>
>>So should they be taught non marketable skills? Or should we contact a
>>medium to forsee the technologies that will be useful in the future?
>
> No, they should be taught general skills that can be adapted to both
> current and future technologies. School isn't a place to teach marketable
> skills. It's a place to produce well rounded, adaptable humans. Focusing
> on specific current technology really does seem like the wrong approach
> to me.
>
> Tet

It is all great and good to talk about well rounded individuals, the
reality is that people need to interact with the technology they have
in front of them and that there is nothing wrong with introducing
technology via something everybody is familiar with.

I am sure that young people are more likely to become engaged with
technology and engineering starting with making nonsense on their
mobile phones rather than basic electronics or arcane (for today's
kids) technological niches, not because those niches are less
interesting, but because they lack social shine  (here I conjure the
stereotypical image of the geek loner).

If school is not the place to teach marketable skills, then lets ban
the teaching of English and Maths, and that is just for starters :-)

My beef is with getting worked out with something that is actually
positive: teaching young people they can become creators rather than
remain passive consumers.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk