[Gllug] Bootable USB backup like OS X dmg?

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Tue May 31 13:20:35 UTC 2011

On 30/05/11 11:59, Nix wrote:
> On 30 May 2011, Steve Parker outgrape:
>> It depends on the type of machine, and what you are trying to achieve.
>> For a PC, then yes, the dynamic way in which the current Linux kernel
>> and udev works is great. With more than one NIC, there is no guarantee
>> that they will both be detected as eth0/eth1 respectively on different
>> boots.
> udev has been able to bind names to network interfaces by MAC for many
> years (following which those names will not change), and has had a rule
> generator to automate that process after first boot for almost as long.
Yes, although I don't like hard-coding MAC addresses (with RHEL you can
put the MAC in ifcfg-NIC); NICs don't often fail, but when they do, and
you replace it with a new one, I want it to be detected based on its PCI
address. udev can do it by PCI too, so I have a script in the build
which does that for me.

What's the rule generator? I haven't come across that

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk