[Gllug] OT: PS3 media center

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Wed May 25 14:38:57 UTC 2011

On 25/05/2011 15:10, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:58:08PM +0100, Andrew Davies wrote:
>

>> Mediatomb is a general purpose transcoding media server, you'll need
>> to edit the config file to allow PS3 support but it's actually
>> documented in the file itself which remarks you'll need to remove.
>> PS3mediaserver is a dedicated DLNA compliant server for the PS3 and
>> so should work straight off, it'll also work for other DLNA clients
>> (it works on my Samsung TV just fine).
>>
>> I found Mediatomb first so I've stuck with that but you may find it
>> easier to get started with PS3mediaserver. From memory, Mediatomb
>> will be more flexible but also rather complicated while
>> PS3mediaserver should be up and running pretty quickly.
>> --
>>
> Ok, I gave in and tried PS3mediaserver and it worked instantly! Thanks :)
>
> I now need to secure it properly, doesn't appear to be one of its strong sides...
>
> Henrik
> --

Glad it's working, I was just in the middle of my long-winded reply !
Long story short; PS3mediaserver is the simple option, Mediatomb will
need some work initially but it just seems to be a collection of scripts
that pass requests to external programs (VLC et c.) to transcode files
from one format to another. It may or may not be more secure than
PS3mediaserver, unfortunately I'm a hardware person not a software one,
I like to be able to kick things that annoy me.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk