[Gllug] Precision M65 screen - horizontal lines ... ut oh :|

'lesleyb' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Thu May 26 17:35:40 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Precision M65 with horizontal lines appearing
on the left of the screen.  They extend from the screen edge
to 1 Gkrellm width where GKrellm width=110.  They extend the
full height of the screen with some flicker on the lines.

These lines appear at switch on so I suspect this is not
a driver issue.

I have tested by attaching the laptop to an external LCD
screen and the lines do not appear on that external screen.

http://www.lcds4less.co.uk/do-i-need-a-laptop-screen.shtml
throws me a little.

"The degree of resolution (horizontal and vertical lines)
of a halftone image based on the number of lines-per-inch
(lpi) or lines per centimeter, used to create the halftone.
The line screen or sometimes called screen frequency at
which an image is to be display.

A screen defect whereby a LCD screen exhibits vertical
or horizontal lines and is not due to a defect of the
notebook itself.

Solutions:
Connect your laptop to an external monitor. If the image
appear on the external monitor, it's indicate a
faulty LCD screen."

I would have thought the lack of any horizontal lines
on the external monitor indicates it is the laptop screen
and not the on-board grpahics chip, an nVidia G72GL
Quadro FX 350M, that has the problem.

The above quote and this post

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19341560/19731559.aspx

seem to both indicate the lack of the problem on the
external monitor indicates the graphics chip is at fault.

I am confused -- can anyone shed light on this ?

Regards

Lesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk