[Gllug] OT: PS3 media center

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Wed May 25 06:54:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

I got inspired by a thread a week or two ago ending up in discussing the PS3 as a media client.

I installed gmediaserver and started it in PS3 mode - all good, comes up on the PS3.

However, the PS3 just goes 'Unsupported format' to anything I throw at it! After much testing, I've managed to get it to recognise a JPEG photo, but fail miserably at almost a dozen different sound files. Tried random wav and mp3 files and tried ripping a CD with asunder to present wav, ogg and mp3 files but everything fails.

On the video side it's not much better. All the wmv, mp4, m4v and whatnot failed as well. It wasn't till I mounted a complete DVD from our camcorder that I got it to play something.

Why's it so picky? Does anyone know of a ripper that will get my CDs into a format it will play?

Thanks
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk