[Gllug] Precision M65 screen - horizontal lines ... ut oh :|

Alistair Mann al at lgeezer.net
Thu May 26 19:45:52 UTC 2011

Chris Bell wrote:
>  On Thu 26 May, 'lesleyb' wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have a Dell Precision M65 with horizontal lines appearing on the
> > left of the screen.  They extend from the screen edge to 1 Gkrellm
> > width where GKrellm width=110.  They extend the full height of the
> > screen with some flicker on the lines.
> >

> > seem to both indicate the lack of the problem on the external
> > monitor indicates the graphics chip is at fault.
> >
> > I am confused -- can anyone shed light on this ?
>
>  It could be either the screen or the graphics chip, which tends to
>  overheat and remove itself from the motherboard. Friends of mine have
>  the equipment to work on that kind of fault at
>  http://www.laptoprepaironline.co.uk in Park Royal.

It will not be the graphics chip itself; as a general purpose processor
it has no mechanism by which it would fail to operate on data intended
for the left side of the screen yet leave the other sides of the screen
intact*. It's not the graphics memory which is faulty either, as the
problem doesn't replicate onto the external monitor, and in any case the
nature of the problem would change as the display shifts from lowres at
POST to hires when the OS has loaded -- something OP didn't note.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann

*I suppose it could be some lines on the bus which have gone I suppose,
but then it would replicate on the external screen anyway.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk