[Gllug] App development for children

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed May 18 10:56:16 UTC 2011

JLMS wrote:
>  On 17 May 2011 15:35, Alistair Mann <gllug at lgeezer.net> wrote:
> > John Hearns wrote:
> >> Yesterday's Evening Standard carried an article on Nick Cleggs
> >> speech at the Google conference. All schoolchildren are to be
> >> trained in how to develop 'apps' for iPhone and Blackberry.
 >>>
> > George Osborne, not Nick Clegg. The article can be found at
> > http://tinyurl.com/444ay4b
> >
> > Most depressing quote: `"Our hope is the UK can produce a
> > Zuckerberg or Brin of the future," said a Treasury source.`
>
>  Why is that depressing?

It's depressing from two points of view.
Either, the statement does not reflect policy but is there to be
anodyne, in which case a public servant has just wasted his time telling
us "Our hope is the UK will see the sun rise in the East tomorrow", a
journalist has just wasted his time recording same, and I've just wasted
my time reading it.
Or, the statement DOES reflect policy, in which case the Government will
be funding what it happens to think will be the Next Big Thing. HMG has
yet to get the last few big IT things working right.

 >You lot get depressed far too easily and at things I really don't get
 > why should one get depressed about....

There's plenty to be elevated about; top-down targeting from Government
isn't one of them.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann