[Gllug] Apple Ipod Help

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Wed May 11 03:45:40 UTC 2011

On 11/05/2011 04:07, gvim wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 22:06, JLMS wrote:
>> case, Android mobile phones can download Podcasts by themselves. Oh
>> wait, I forgot to say that I decided to stop playing Apple's cat an
>> mouse game when there are many other much more user friendly options
>> of music players for Linux users).
>
> Is the Sansa Fuze+ considered the best iPod alternative for Linux users:
>
> http://www.sandisk.com/microsites/sansafuzeplus/index.html
>
> .... or are there better players? I'm mainly interested in MP3 & video
> playback plus photo storage.
>
> gvim
> --

There are dedicated Android PMPs out there, Archos has been using it for
a while and Samsung have their own version.

Slightly out of left-field might be an Orange San Francisco (AKA ZTE
Blade) on PAYG, if this covers everything you need (music should be
fine, video capabilities could be the issue):-
http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade-3391.php
All the normal things a mobile phone has with a 800x480 resolution
capacitive screen being the stand out. You'll need to buy storage
(microSD cards AFAIK) but that's also a positive as it adds more
flexibility than having a fixed amount. Runs Android 2.1 but other,
unofficial, ROMs are available from Modaco so it might be worth checking
those out first if that's a necessity.
Currently available for £109.99 from Orange (possibly also available
from other mobile outlets) with £10 call credit and no internal storage
(so you'll need to factor that in, upto 32GB according to specs).
There are rumours that this is being discontinued, so take that into
consideration.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk