[Gllug] Donate Computers to School/Charity?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue May 24 15:55:57 UTC 2011

On Tue 24 May, Jacques Kotze wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> My work has about 5 old Pentium 4 HT Dell boxes (probably loads more if I
> scratch around) that they are about to through away.
>
> I was hoping that someone on the list may be able to point me in the
> direction of a charity or school that would benefit from this hardware. I
> would imagine some new life can be squeezed out of these boxes if a light
> linux distro is placed on them (currently has window$ XP).
>
> Let me know if you think the hardware is too old to really be of use.
>
> Any help in sourcing the right connection would be appreciated. Please note
> I would only really like to go to the effort of donating these machines to
> an established charity/school and not to private individuals (I will need to
> go through considerable red-tape to make this donation possible and I cannot
> validate it for individuals).
>
> Regards
>
> Jacques

   Well, I would not reject something like that myself, I am running
anything from early Pentiums on doing dedicated jobs.
   There is a government backed initiative to get the internet to anyone not
yet connected, including providing secondhand refurbished kit where
appropriate using resources from Remploy and others. See
www.raceonline2012.org

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk