[Gllug] QT GUI Project

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue May 10 14:53:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 14:29 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> You do have a point though - what you are saying is your IT support
> staff will not support it,
> as they do not have the skills, and they have a "standard build" of
> Windows, yadda, yadda, yadda....
>
> Well OK - the answer to this is to either:
> a) hire someone to look after your technical computing
> b) buy a Linux system with support from a 3rd party company - I worked
> in two companies which build and supply
> HPC clusters to a whole range of industries, we had several clients
> wheo were small(ish) engineering firms in London,
> we suppled the Linux cluster and supported it
> c) Run a Linux virtual machine on your Windows box

Most companies have the good sense to specify a corporate policy which
forbids employees from installing unauthorised computers or unauthorised
software. This is necessary from a legal perspective as the employer is
liable for any unlawful activity and also because the employer has a
duty of care to provide and support the necessary tools for the
workplace.

For many workplaces the reason they run Windows is very simple - they
are locked into it either by applications that are only available to run
on Windows (which may have licensing implications!) or because they must
interchange data which is locked to formats specific to Windows based
applications.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk