[Gllug] one-liner

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:12:22 UTC 2011

On 31 October 2011 17:24, Dimitrios Siganos <dimitris at siganos.org> wrote:
> IMO, a one-liner is not a well defined concept, hence, you can't say that
> his solution is not a one liner unless you have provided a precise
> definition for what a one liner is. It fits in one line, hence, it looks
> like a one-liner to to me. If your colleague wanted a single command
> solution then he should have been more specific.

Of course you can say that, some people would bow to your attention to
detail, I tend to be moody and would think, most likely unfairly, that
you are being pedantic for the fun of it.

You can use common sense interpreting the one liner requirement (which
I think most people with some basic understanding of scripting would
interpret in a reasonable manner) and that way live happily with the
rest of humanity.

> What's more interesting is that his solution won't work correctly for
> file-names which contain spaces.

It would have been even more interesting to mention a possible
solution taking care of the problem you correctly highlight:

In bash:

for i in "*.html" ; do sed -i -e 's/fish/chips/g' $i ; done

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk