[Gllug] Disk performance

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:51:33 UTC 2011

Hi

I was unable to respond to this one earlier - hopefully this response
will get through.

'latencytop' is a great utility for use when systems appear sluggish,
or have unexplained slowdowns

there are sysctl tunings for the vm dirty buffer ratios etc. which you
can apply.
vm.dirty_background_ratio
vm.dirty_ratio

I can send you the ones I use, but they probably aren't relevant to
your particular machine.

You can also fool with the disk elevator choice.

Also if the disk really is the bottleneck have you considered

a) a RAMdisk and copying to a 'real' database on disk periodically

b) a solid state disk

pps. 8 gigs of RAM? Thats not a lot these days. I would look at your
/proc/meminfo periodically and try to see what's going on.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk