[Gllug] Simplest / quickest way to get block level dedup in Ubuntu 10.04?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Nov 9 13:56:11 UTC 2011

Hi there, are there any filesystems in the Ubuntu 10.04 32bit repos that
do block level dedup? Or any 32bit binaries for 10.04 in a PPA somewhere?

If not, what's the quickest way for me to get it?

I want it to back up a collection of large files (500Mb to 8Gb) with
some highly redundant data on them - mostly OS isos. Performance can be
fairly lousy as long as the fs is likely to be available for
redownloading for a year or two (otherwise it's not much of a backup eh!).

Ideally it would also be a product with a bright future that most
distros do (or will) include as standard but right now I'd just settle
for something that's not a real bugger to setup. Lessfs is the best
looking one I've found so far, is there something easier or more
commonly used?

Thanks,

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk