[Gllug] Smart cities get their own operating system -what underlies the McClaren OS?

Andre gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:27:56 UTC 2011

On 6 Oct 2011, at 07:58, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 19:36 +0100, Tethys . wrote:
>

>> Errr... given that FIA mandate the use of the McLaren ECU, and given
>> that all of the teams use McLaren's ATLAS software,
>
> That's changed recently, then.

The FIA mandated a standard ECU about 3 years ago, possibly to prevent nervous breakdowns for the guys (mostly just Alan) who had to verify rule compliance when most teams had different ECU systems and heavily obsfucated code that changed every race!

Back in the days of Launch Control for example, hidden traction control enabled by selecting option 13 in a 10 option menu accessible from a db9 on the back of the gearbox :-P

>  Incidentally, McLaren's method is
> certainly inferior to the one developed several years ago for Renault!..

Well back in the late 80's and early 90's Renault's system certainly generated a great deal of interference on the nearby in car camera frequencies causing me some late nights! they were the first to be using wideband >2GHz data transmission, everyone else was using 2400 over uhf, or similar.

Andre
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk