[Gllug] Voda 3G USB Mobile BB

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Oct 22 10:53:13 UTC 2011

Hi, Just bought one of these PAYG mobile broadband sticks from Vodafone.
It works under XP but I'm having a few problems with it on Fedora 14.

Its a K3770 and shows up in lsusb as Bus 002 Device 010: ID 12d1:14c9
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

I've loaded the latest usb-modeswitch-data, as the FC14 setup is out of
date, and I now get a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0

Network manager sees it, but never makes the ppp connection.

With wvdial it gets as far as the CONNECT stage and it seems that the
ppp session never gets started.

If I have a 'chat' to the modem with Minicom, I get the same. It will
connect but I don't see the splurge of binary stuff that should come
back as the remote end tries to establish its ppp session. Looking in
the logs it seems that this is also the problem Network manager is having.

The initialisation string and APN I'm using is
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","pp.internet" which seems to be what many forums
(fora?) and even Vodafone themselves seem to say is correct.

I have used kppp for mobile broadband previously on FC8, but the current
version on FC14 freezes when I try to set up the connection details :-(

Also, Vodafone have a python based dialer called vmc, but it seems to
require Python 2.5 and its 2.7 on FC14. If I force it to install, when I
run that I get a screen full of python errors the most significant seems
to be "No module named vmc.common". Oh well.....

This can't be that hard.....

Anyone managed to get one of these or similar going?

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk