[Gllug] CalDAV or ICS calendar & contacts server wtih Android & Linux server

Lucian lucian at lastdot.org
Fri Oct 14 12:31:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM, James Courtier-Dutton
<james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 October 2011 12:28, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, October 14, 2011 11:52, gvim wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of buying an Android phone but want to be able to sync with a
>>> calendar & contacts server on my Linux server. The calendar server must
>>> also be compatible with Thunderbird for syncing with my desktop and
>>> laptop. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of setup. Looking
>>> into Darwin Streaming Server with CalDAV sync at the moment.
>>
>> Probably horrendous overkill for what you need, but migrating my company
>> mail system to Zimbra neatly sorted out all the calendaring woes.
>>
> Or just get a blackberry instead. I hear that blackberry is very reliable.  ;-)

Yes, very reliable. You can rely they won't fix their outages faster
than 2 days,

> Android do sync out of the box of contacts and calendar if you link it
> with google mail.

Yes, that will work very well.

> You can get an android emulator for you PC and test it out running
> android if you wish.

Check out Sogo if you want to go self-hosted:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SOGo-2-0-open-source-groupware-with-Outlook-connectivity-1355256.html
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk