[Gllug] suse 12.1 not connect online

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:43:23 UTC 2012

unable to enumerate usb device number on port 2 using ehci hcd

I think I have seen something similar - forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm
trying to find the trouble ticket I filed on it.
When you remove USB devices, such as keyboards and micem  and re-plug
them in with some varieties of USB the devices are not

The fix is to add this parameter to the kernel options in grub
usbcore.use_both_schemes=1

>From /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/core/hub.c

*
 * As of 2.6.10 we introduce a new USB device initialization scheme which
 * closely resembles the way Windows works.  Hopefully it will be compatible
 * with a wider range of devices than the old scheme.  However some previously
 * working devices may start giving rise to "device not accepting address"
 * errors; if that happens the user can try the old scheme by adjusting the
 * following module parameters.
 *
 * For maximum flexibility there are two boolean parameters to control the
 * hub driver's behavior.  On the first initialization attempt, if the
 * "old_scheme_first" parameter is set then the old scheme will be used,
 * otherwise the new scheme is used.  If that fails and "use_both_schemes"
 * is set, then the driver will make another attempt, using the other scheme.
 */

Actually, that is a different message. But you are definitely having
USB problems.

Does this modem requite the usb modeswitch commands to switch it from
being a mass storage device to acting as a modem?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk