[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Tue Apr 24 12:58:45 UTC 2012

On 24 April 2012 11:30, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
> Data can be encrypted in storage (disks) and transit (network), but
> I don't think it can be encrypted in memory if you want to use it.
>
> That means that a superuser on virtual host can read the memory
> of any guest machine. That will include a lot of unencrypted
> sensitive data, although it would not be easy to sort through.
>
> I'm not aware of any way of preventing this, but would happy to
> be proved wrong.

AIUI (and to be clear, I don't, really) this is an active research
problem which probably *is* soluble, although not in anything
approaching practical terms at this point in time.

See http://crypto.stanford.edu/craig/easy-fhe.pdf, which I think was
published in CACM a couple of years ago.

> |    John Edwards   Email: john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk    |

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk