[Gllug] Linux Petition

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Apr 3 04:59:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 22:06 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 02 Apr, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> >
> > The cause may be worthy, but the likelihood of the Government migrating
> > from Windows to Linux is zero, at least in the foreseeable future.
> >
>    I have been in contact with my own MP, Angie Bray MP, Parliamentary
> Private Secretary to the Minister for the Cabinet Office, Member of
> Parliament for Ealing Central & Acton, about the use of Free Open Source
> Software, and there have been indications that the government has been
> listening.
>    My local London Borough of Ealing has been watching the results as some
> other London Boroughs have moved towards Linux. I was told that they are
> worried about the costs of retraining staff, although that has to happen
> every time a new version of their existing system is released.
>    I saw a report that the US have given up the idea of having only
> perimeter security, and now assume that almost all networks have been
> cracked - so just try to protect the contents. The US Air Force has been
> working with the US government to produce a minimal ultra-secure Linux
> distribution, and I think it is likely that the UK government is watching.

Chris (and all)

Practically speaking, we're not concerned much about people cracking the
access to our systems (closed or open source) - it's really not the
problem.

The real issue is the "packet flood" problem, causing "Denial of
Service" - they probably won't gain access to anything sensitive, but
neither will we!  These attacks leave our networks so clogged with
malicious (and rejected) packets that they are rendered unusable.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk