[Gllug] Can't ssh from hypervisor to guest host using KVM

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:00:18 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am setting up a series of systems and while in my host at home I can
happily do ssh from the hypervisor to the guests (CentOS 6.2 &
Fedora16 respectively) I can't do the same in the host I am working
with in the datacentre.

Whenever I try to ssh I get the following:

[root at ip-192-168-3-130 log]# ssh test at 192.168.111.199
ssh: connect to host 192.168.111.199 port 22: No route to host
[root at ip-192-168-3-130 log]#

while in my home server, I can do this with abandon:

[root at pinguino-centos jlms]# ssh test at 192.168.111.50
test at 192.168.111.50's password:
[root at pinguino-centos jlms]#

in both cases the guests can happily ssh to the hypervisor, and in
both cases each host can ping each other, traceroute finds its way to
each host both ways...

The major difference is that in the setup at home I disabled
NetworkManger and gave the guest a static address, but I fail to see
if that would impact in any way how this all hangs together.

This must be a common setup and I suppose most SAs would expect to be
able to ssh as explained, what I am missing?

Thanks!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk