[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Apr 23 08:02:49 UTC 2012

On 23 Apr 2012, JLMS spake thusly:
> All major companies (Oracle, Microsoft, Red Hat, Amazon)  are pushing
> very decisively  on the direction of cloud nirvana.

Not only. Also 'you buy boxes from us to do ${database services} ${local
searches} et al. That's sort of the oppoosite of this cloudy thing (at
least it is if you make sure those boxes can't send arbitrary stuff out
onto the network, which you probably should if you know what's good for
you).

At least the Oracle versions of these boxes and very probably the Amazon
and Google versions too are Linux boxes. (This is about as far from a
secret as it is possible for anything to be.)

(disclaimer: not speaking for my employer, duh)

> Many companies have all or part of their IT infrastructure in somebody
> else's datacentre already

Part of me is wondering how much of all this was orchestrated by
lawyers. I mean, the first time something goes wrong or another
relationship with one of those suppliers gets mucked up, the legal
fights are going to be absolutely *epic*. Megaupload has nothing on
this. If it were just a hosting company, that's one thing, but Oracle,
MS and Amazon at least do lots of other things too and the first two
trade with basically everyone. Any of those relationships going awry
with a customer who is also a cloud customer could lead to...
interesting (I-want-to-be-very-far-away) territory. (I'm sure lawyers on
all sides have already prepared for this and minor skirmishes have
already happened, but do you seriously believe there isn't going to be a
masssive well-publicised fight sooner or later? I don't.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk