[Gllug] Gnome3 on Fedora 16 (Again)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 08:42:12 UTC 2012

Hi

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:13:36PM +1200, DL Neil wrote:
> On 18/04/12 11:45, Mick Farmer wrote:
>> Dear dn,
>>
>> I've inherited my username from Fedora 14 before I upgraded to Fedora
>> 16.  My uid/gid is 500/500.
>>
>> I used useradd to add user test to my system.  The default uid/gid
>> created was 1000/1000.  When I activated the sign in menu, that user was
>> offered.
>
> I remember reading in the Release Notes (one of the recent Fred
> releases) something about expanding the lower-numbered UID/GUID
> allocations from a 'pool' of 500 up to 1,000.
>

>> So, how does the sign in process decide who can be included in the sign
>> in menu from all the user names in /etc/passwd?  uid/gid? /home entry?
>> something else?
>
> Perhaps the above has something to do with it - that and the fact
> that you came the 'upgrade' route (cf a fresh installation). At the
> same time, the guys working on id, authentication, and authorisation
> may have (exclusively) implemented the new regime...
>
> FWIW my clean install's 'first user' does indeed have a UID of 1000.
>
> Apparently there was no concept of 'translating' old id allocs to
> the new scheme. I wonder if there is a post-fact conversion-package?

Changing the UID and GID of a logged in user it not an easy process,
and if that user is the only one with sudo privileges if it likely
to end up with a broken system.

Here are a couple of options:

A) Try setting the value for "MinimalUID" in gdm.conf back to 500.
On old versions of gdm this is /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, but on newer
versions that have /etc/gdm/custom.conf you should put your
changes there. Add "MinimalUID=500" in the "[greeter]" section.

This may mean that new "system" user accounts will eventually appear
in the login list. If you are the only user of the machine you can
easily ignore them.

B) Change your UID from 500 to 1001 (assuming that it UID is not
used), and probably also your GID as well. Likely to be safer in the
long term, but carries a small amount of risk to it.

Steps are:
1) Make sure that you can login to the text console as the root user.
2) Logout of everything as your normal user.
3) As root run 'usermod -u 1001 <your_username>'
4) As root run 'groupmod -u 1001 <your_username>'
5) As root run 'find / -uid  -exec 501 chown 1001 "{}" \;'
6) As root run 'find / -gid  -exec 501 chgrp 1001 "{}" \;'
7) Log back in as your normal user.

Note that I've not tried either options on Fedora
only Debian/Ubuntu, so some steps may be different.