[Gllug] Linux Petition

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Apr 2 22:06:16 UTC 2012

On Mon 02 Apr, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> The cause may be worthy, but the likelihood of the Government migrating
> from Windows to Linux is zero, at least in the foreseeable future.

   I have been in contact with my own MP, Angie Bray MP, Parliamentary
Private Secretary to the Minister for the Cabinet Office, Member of
Parliament for Ealing Central & Acton, about the use of Free Open Source
Software, and there have been indications that the government has been
listening.
   My local London Borough of Ealing has been watching the results as some
other London Boroughs have moved towards Linux. I was told that they are
worried about the costs of retraining staff, although that has to happen
every time a new version of their existing system is released.
   I saw a report that the US have given up the idea of having only
perimeter security, and now assume that almost all networks have been
cracked - so just try to protect the contents. The US Air Force has been
working with the US government to produce a minimal ultra-secure Linux
distribution, and I think it is likely that the UK government is watching.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk