[Gllug] Fedora 16 MAC Address

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:51:13 UTC 2012

On 19/04/2012, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note: Only change the MAC address of an interface when the interface is
> down.
> Otherwise the network will think there are duplicate IP addresses.
> I don't actually know if the "ip link set address ascii-mac-address
> dev (device)" does an arp poison or not. I probably should.

Oh do come on. Live dangerously. Its more fun that way.

ps. I'm only half joking. I once had to install a very expensive piece
of video special effects kit which could only be networked by setting
a permanent arp entry on the SGI workstation which wanted to talk to
it (ie you had to know the MAC address adn do an arp -s )
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk