[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Apr 24 12:09:41 UTC 2012

On 23/04/2012 21:57, David Colon wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
> <mailto:sta296 at astradyne.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     Someone else has your data. Not that they'll be able to get at it
>     if it's suitably encrypted[1], but they can deny you access to it.
>     For that reason alone, I won't be putting any of my data in the
>     cloud now, or for the forseeable future. Or probably ever.
>

> The same caveat applies if your servers are in a data center that you
> do not own. Your physical and network access can be removed by the ISP
> at any time. You still need to maintain backups of your data in a
> separate location.

If you're running your own servers of course you send backups off site.
You'd be insane not to.

In addition, you should make sure that the offsite location isn't
somewhere to which you can be denied access at the same time by the same
provider. e.g. not another datacentre operated by the same provider
where you'll be locked out of both if the provider goes bust.

S.