[Gllug] Fedora 16 MAC Address

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Apr 16 14:43:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 03:39:34PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> Another possibility is that the MAC on your device is being correctly
> set, but something in the boot scripts is overwriting it before the
> machine finishes booting (which Linux allows if you're running as root).
> I don't know of a way to diagnose this case.

He might have luck by enabling "Network boot" in the BIOS - if you very
lucky the PXE boot client in the BIOS will print the MAC addr of the NIC
it is using at boot time, or you can sniff the MAC addr from another host
using tcpdump Assuming a cold-boot this should avoid the effects of any
OS fubar-ness

Regards,
Daniel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk