[Gllug] Dell Latitudes D830 USB problem....

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 15:00:29 UTC 2012

Hello Christopher + GLLUG

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 03:29:02PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:25:25AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
>> enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
>> 1.1, not USB 2....
>
> Are you sure? The D830 is Core2 based, no? Any laptop of that vintage will
> include USB2.0.

Confirmed by the first link in a Google search for "D830" and "USB2":
	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Latitude_D830

> What does lspci output?

And does it match the lspci on the above webpage?

You could also have a look through /var/log/dmesg for messages to do
with USB, ohci (the Open Host Controller Interface, for USB 1.1) and
ehci (Enhanced Host Controller Interface, for USB 2.0).

As for Ubuntu 11.10 and other distributions not supporting USB 1.1,
I think Christopher needs to say where he got that idea. It's not
something I've ever met or heard of. There may be *particular*
USB 1.1 devices that are not supported, such as those that require
firmware to be uploaded. That should not include USB drives.