[Gllug] Dell Latitudes D830 USB problem....

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Apr 20 19:34:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 10:50 +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 04:17:55PM +0100, Chris E Hunter wrote:
> > The USB ports on the laptop itself are USB 1.1  The ports on the
> > docking station are USB 2.  This one doesn't have a docking station
> > (yet). It's an appallingly badly designed piece of junk!
>
> Dell and many other people say it has onboard USB2:
>   http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd830/en/UG_EN/html/specs.htm
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Latitude_D830
>
> The most obvious way to reconcile this with your statements is that
> maybe your laptop does have USB2 port, but they are not working?
>
> Which is why people are suggesting that you check lspci and dmesg,
> and maybe use a Live CD from a different distribution.
>

> --

I have tried ALL the remedies suggested by the good folks here and all
have failed.  USB 2 support is compiled into the kernel, and all USB 1
devices work without issue.  Every USB device I've tried (including a
modem) worked OK as USB 2.  It just fails to enumerate ANY storage
device.

Dell say (when pressed) that the on-board ports are USB 1.1, and the
external ports (on the docking station) are USB 2.

I got a genuine Dell docking station today for £9.50 on Ebay (Dell price
£146!), and when it's connected, the extra USB ports are fine with USB 2
storage devices!!!

I suspect that there's a jumper on the main board somewhere that
"upgrades" the USB.....

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk