[Gllug] Laptop Fedora MAC Address

Robert forums at binaryexistence.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 11:40:03 UTC 2012

On 15/04/12 09:56, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:15, Robert . wrote:
>> You get a different MAC address everytime you reboot?
>> MAC address is set on the hardware itself, unless you're spoofing the
>> data you are transmitting.
>>
>> On 11 April 2012 18:41, Mick Farmer <mick at plan7.co.uk
>> <mailto:mick at plan7.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
>>

> I'm gonna guess you meant IP address, rather than MAC address

I imagine JLMS hit the right answer, I'm wondering if Mick is setup on a
VM and this is somehow changing each time it boots?
Did a quick google and a fedora post on trying to create a
different/random MAC address can be found here (just for interest)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-234556.html

As mentioned in that list of posts, I guess it could be useful on dual
boot machines etc.