[Gllug] CORRECTION: Gnome3 on Fedora 16 (Again)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 14:06:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 02:12:52PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2012, John Edwards spake thusly:
>> This might be speeded up by piping the list of files to xargs with
>> something like:
>> 	find / -gid 501 -print0 | xargs -r0 chgrp 1001
>>
>> But I sometimes meet problems with files with special characters in
>> them when doing this, usually created by Windows clients via Samba.
>
> *That* should only happen if chgrp is buggy. What characters were these?
> What version of coreutils? (Maybe we can whip up a testcase...)

Sorry it was several years ago, so I should have used the past tense.
The details are long gone from my memory and the server in question
has probably gone to Silicon Heaven by now (along with it's files).

I'm also slightly nervous about piping data to things like chown and
chmod (and rm!) without checking the data myself. The xargs man page
does now say that for -0 the "quotes and backslash are not special
(every character is taken literally)" so I hope it is now safe.

I've got an Ubuntu laptop where I really should fix the UIDs, so I may
try the xargs pipe there.