[Gllug] Linux Petition

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 14:14:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:06:27AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> Being slightly contenious (spelling?) here, the discussions tend to be
> on the adoption on Linux on the desktop. That I think is less popular
> - partly because of the stranglehold of Exchange plus calendaring
> integration

They way to the desktop is to replace the applications, one by one (firefox,
OoO, ...), until for most people the underlying operating system is irrelevant
as the apps that they use work under most things: MS Windows, Linux, OS/X.

Also: don't go for a clean sweap - you will always find someone who *needs*
something that only runs on a particular platform. 80% is what you should aim
at, and if you use open standards (file formats, networked file systems/shares)
then do you really care ?

Regarding MS Exchange. Is there yet a *good* free drop in replacement, ie one
that lets people continue to use MS Outlook, will also play with Thunderbird &
Evolution ? Anyone tried this:

	http://www.zarafa.com/

I look every year or so and so far there have always been a few problems.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk