[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Apr 24 12:04:08 UTC 2012

On 23/04/2012 12:43, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> >  That doesn't mean that you shouldn't put your data in the cloud, it just
>> >  means that you had better make sure you have a good backup of it. Which
>> >  of course weakens the business case for data in the cloud but other
>> >  factors may still make it a good business choice.
> not sure if you and Tethys are talking about the same thing... His point
> is more about privacy and ownership/access of data : backups wont help
> if everyone else gets access to your data.

I think we are, although specifically only about denying access to data.
I agree that preventing unauthorised access to that data is a different
issue.

If you rely on the cloud provider to maintain your backup as well as
your primary data you risk being denied access to both backup and
primary if anything happens to that provider (goes bust, gets shut down
by the feds etc).

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk