[Gllug] Rekindling interest in London LUG events

Matthew Copperwaite mattcopp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:10:46 UTC 2012

On 30 April 2012 09:56, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/04/12 09:33, JLMS wrote:

>>> Given the comprehensive arse-kicking given by Team Debian last time this
>>> was done, is there really any point?  I can still hear the gentoo weenies
>>> blubbing.
>>>
>> But I am sure they learned a lot, which I would think is part of the
>> point of the game....
>

> In the words of Monty Pythons 'Life of Brian' "Splitters!"
>
> --
> Regards
> Peter Cannon
>
> IRC: dick_turpin @ freenode.net
> https://twitter.com/dick_turpin
> http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk
> https://plus.google.com/100694334141523232451/posts
> Podcast: http://tdtrs.co.uk
> "There is every excuse for not knowing
> There is no excuse for not asking"
>

> --

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, some of it has been really
useful and I'll take it on board.

I have got the dates a little confused in my head and we've actually
got it booked for the 6th of June not the 7th, but that's why I had
this little airing mail. I think next step is to put stuff in the
announcements mailing list and if any of the mods could make
themselves known so we can get it put it on the main GLLUG page too
that would be awesome.

I know there are some people who may have difficulties getting to
events and while I do appreciate that I'm afraid I can't put on an
event in all your own living rooms, as much as I would like to. The
two other solutions there of course are that we:
1. Move the event around to the various corners of London so some
events are easier to get to than others, or
2. Have a 'splitters' like event where different areas have their own LUG.

While I'm more than happy to support anyone endeavouring to do the
latter option I do worry that smaller groups will have less momentum
and therefore harder to carry on long term. I think it's also worth
reminding people (without wanting derailing the conversation too much)
that our neighbours in Surrey LUG travel much greater distances than
London covers and we do have the benefit of a semi-functional public
transport system.

I plan for events to be as reasonably central as possible so that
people South and North of the river have as much chance of getting to
events, although that does depend on available locations (so if you
want one in a local area please do suggest a suitable space).

Other than that, I'm really excited about this event and I hope you
are too, and I look forward to seeing as many of you guys there as
possible.

Matt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk