[Gllug] Fedora 16 Cgroups

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Apr 27 21:21:25 UTC 2012

On 27 Apr 2012, Richard W. M. Jones said:
> Yes and no.  As with SELinux you're paying a (very small) penalty just
> by having them compiled into the kernel, so you'd also have to compile
> your own kernel.  The time taken to compile and deal with a custom
> kernel outweighs any possible savings.

Is it really that hard with a modern distro? I've built my own kernels
for fifteen years now, but then I don't use Fedora so I can't say if
it's harder to get a working kernel on there than on other systems.
(Yes, you need a working initial ramdisk, but dracut can build those
without much effort, even if you have your own kernel, and
/sbin/installkernel does that, doesn't it? So 'make install' from the
kernel source tree should just do the right thing.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk