[GLLUG] A USB WiFi dongle that works as Host/Master

Matthew Copperwaite mattcopp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:13:28 UTC 2012

On 8 Aug 2012 20:57, "Chris Bell" <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed 08 Aug, Matthew Copperwaite wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >

> > I was wondering if anyone knew of or owns a USB WiFi dongle
> > (preferably capable of .11n) that works in Host/Master mode so it can
> > be run as an access point. Finding (or rather deciphering) this
> > information seems difficult as a lot of dongles are capable, but not
> > all of them work well in Linux which is the real key here. So previous
> > experience of one that works and where to buy it would be best.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Matt
> >

>    Should I assume no external power source?
>
> --
> Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk
> Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives you the whole house.

Yes. Ideally. It's essentially a project to turn a raspberry pi in to a
portable access point. So using the RPi with a dongle and one of those
portable charging batteries with a USB port on it. I'd prefer not to have
to hack the battery or cables so that the project can be more easily
replicated.

So if anyone has any experience with a dongle that has worked in Ad-Hoc
mode before that would be the acid test.

Matt