[GLLUG] Avoid Virgin Media

Matthew Smith indigojo at blogistan.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 13:12:12 UTC 2012

On 21/12/12 10:48, John Edwards wrote:

> A friend of mine in Brighton has been fighting to get a reliable
> Internet and TV service for years, and has just about given up after
> finding that Freeview free terrestrial digital TV is more reliable:
> 	http://jonnynexus.com/2011/03/08/how-virgin-media-shafted-us-again/
> 	http://jonnynexus.com/2012/09/04/why-i-hate-calling-the-virgin-media-call-centre/

I'm near Kingston (Surrey). We changed from BT to Virgin earlier this
year. That's the home media/broadband package, not business broadband,
but the difference could not have been more stark. With BT, we had
constant service cut-outs, at any time of day (though Sunday evening was
a very common time) and entire web hosts would not load. One of these
was a disability campaign website which I kept getting links to from
Twitter, and definitely is not a porn site. It never would load unless I
used a proxy, and it still won't on the PCs in the local Apple Store.
We've had neither of these problems on Virgin. I would say the service
may be more reliable in some areas than others, and your best bet might
be to find people locally who can tell you if the service is good or not.

Regards,

Matt Smith

--

http://www.blogistan.co.uk/blog/