[GLLUG] Avoid Virgin Media

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Fri Dec 21 18:04:18 UTC 2012

On 21/12/2012 16:26, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Virgin are simply abysmal, no matter how much you pay them.

Like I said, I suspect it depends on which area you're in.

 > They have changed their advertising spiel to "up to"
 > because BT took them to task with the help of Trading Standards.

That's a bit rich, coming from them.  Not one of the BT connections I've
had has got to even 50% of the advertised speed.

 > When we had the misfortune to be connected to their "20 Mb" service,
 > we seldom got more than 500 kb/s

I see better than 4 megabyte/s regularly on my Virgin 50 megabit/s
connection, certainly a better proportion of the available bandwidth
than I ever got out of ADSL.  Mind you, I'm not often at home during the
6pm-10pm peak.

Rob