[GLLUG] Anyone know how webmin does its dirty work?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Dec 29 17:47:07 UTC 2012

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

> Wanting a quick firewall setup on a Thecus N2100 (headless ARM box,
> running Debian Wheezy), I made the mistake of installing webmin.
> The box boots fine, but I can't uninstall webmin until I can find a way
> to communicate with it once it's booted.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've not used webmin for about a decade, but I'd be surprised if it's
doing anything really cryptic --- it certainly used to be written to
edit the system's files in the way that a competent sysadmin would have,
while not breaking the state that it found.

Sticking /etc/iptables.up.rules into duckduckgo.com brings us here:

  http://wiki.debian.org/iptables

which suggests that webmin might have added a
/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables for you.

If not, I'd probably just move /sbin/iptables-restore out of the way so
that it cannot be called from whatever is calling it.

Cheers, Phil.