[Gllug] Ssh Debugging

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:25:06 UTC 2012

On 25 February 2012 20:44, Mick Farmer <mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I've recently upgraded to FTTC from Plusnet and now get 20+
> Mbps download speeds.
>
> The downside appears to be that my ssh link to my work
> machine goes down five or six times a day.  So, I'm trying
> to run sshd in debug mode on my work machine.  However, this
> is what I get.
>
> [root at penguin log]# /usr/sbin/sshd -d -p 1234
> debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.9p1
> debug1: private host key: #0 type 0 RSA1
> debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
> debug1: private host key: #1 type 1 RSA
> debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
> debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA
> debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
> debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-d'
> debug1: rexec_argv[2]='-p'
> debug1: rexec_argv[3]='1234'
> debug1: Bind to port 1234 on ::.
> Server listening on :: port 1234.
> debug1: Bind to port 1234 on 0.0.0.0.
> Bind to port 1234 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
> Generating 768 bit RSA key.
> RSA key generation complete.
>
> Presuably this means that the server is using a default IP
> address of 0.0.0.0.  How can I overcome this?  Or is there
> another error waiting in the wings?
>
> Your help is appreciated.

I would do a packet sniff at each end of the link, and see what
happens when the existing ssh session stops working. I assume by "ssh
link goes down", you mean a running ssh session gets cut off.
You might need to turn on some ssh keepalives in order to keep
firewalls and NAT boxes between the endstations happy.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk