[Gllug] emai notification on login

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 11:08:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:57:09AM +0100, Konrad Vrba wrote:
> hello,
> when I login to my machine (via console or SSH) I get notification "You
> have mail in /var/mail/..."
>
> This is only informing me that there is an email, which I have already
> read. This is very stupid. I would like to receive notifications only when
> there is a new mail.
>
> Could somebody please advice how to do it ?

The traditional way is to view /var/mail/ (or /var/spool/mail/) as
only holding unread email, and then move read mail to somewhere in
your home directory such as an mbox file in ~/mail/. Most command
line emails clients such as mutt will prompt you to do this.

To be honest you would probably be better served by setting up an
forward or alias to get those emails off the server into a more
"modern" email system which is more familar to you and which you
can access with an email client using IMAP or POP3.