[Gllug] Powerline Ethernet

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:11:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Mick Farmer wrote:

> I'm thinking of using powerline sockets to extend my home network.  In
> particular, I'm looking at the Devolo powerline products.

As far as I could tell, Devolo are the only company bothering to
explicitly provide unix based management tools.  I got one of their
original devices (85mb/s ish) and it's been in constant use for about 3
years.  It came with win/mac binaries and iirc a freebsd focused cmdline
tool!  It needed a little bit of editing to compile it, but it then
worked fine.  This is all completely unnecessary of course as they can
simply be plugged in and used out of the box.  I enabled the encryption
and noted the ethernet and throughput reported, just because I could.
But if I get new ones I may just plug in and use.

> Has anyone tried this sort of kit?  Does it work as advertised?  Does
> it work with Linux (Fedora XX)?  Is there really a problem with noise
> pollution?

Yes, Yes, Yes,  I've seen no issues - I could be messing up somebodies
ham radio.

> Any details gratefully accepted.

The newer 200/500 sound very useful and fast, and as far as I can tell,
now come with a linux binary gui management tool.  I'd be interested in
your experiences.  I don't really need the speed upgrade yet, but I am
tempted by the ones which are also a wifi AP repeating point as I could
do with stronger signals on my 3rd floor.

 - Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk