[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Thu Feb 2 12:51:37 UTC 2012

John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 06:05:29PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
>> Alternate solution (1):
>>
>> employ $spotty_herbert
>> Buy Easyjet cattle-class ticket
>> Clamp mobile phone to ear of $spotty_herbert and utilise remote fingers
>
> But the fingers of $spotty_herbert usually has lots of bugs that can
> take years to fully iron out. Very much like the iPhone keyboard.

We've already got a couple of engineers there. It's still more sensible
for the particular expert to login to the computer to fix something they
can't fix.

And trying to get mechanical engineers to type unix commands is ... interesting

>> Alternate solution (2):
>> You build robots, right?
>> Ship robot in a box, with webcam eyes and fully working fingers.
>> Robot takes place of spotty herbert, and saves on hotel bills.
>
> Why does letting sysadmins build robots sound like a bad idea?
> 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/01/bofh_2010_episode_11/
>
> Of course you could mix both ideas and ship $spotty_herbert in a box.

Still got to get the robot to open a successful network connection back
to here :-)

We tried shipping engineers in packing cases, but they had too much fun
:-<

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/            | +44 7866 561014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk